We offer legal services in relation to various financial products to our local and international clients. The services cover syndicated lending, asset finance, derivative products, trade and commodity finance, insolvency and restructuring of non- performing loans, regulatory compliance, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory compliance, capital and money markets.
A snapshot of our experience:
- Acted as lead adviser to a syndication of lenders comprised of local commercial banks and pension funds led by Stanbic Bank Tanzania Limited. Advised on the provision of a syndicated loan totalling US$250 million (equivalent to TZS 300 billion) to the national power company, Tanesco, backed by a sovereign guarantee. Our role involved drafting an LMA styled facility agreement, providing an enforceability and capacity opinion and reviewing and attending to all conditions precedent to the execution and disbursement.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) in relation to the Independent Power Tanzania Limited project financing of a 100 MW power plant.
- Advised international lenders on the Gapco receivership and enforcement of its security in Tanzania.
- Advised various international lenders on the financing of power projects in Tanzania.
- Acted as local advisers to Standard Chartered Bank Johannesburg Branch in a US$25 million secured lending transaction to a local borrower guaranteed by its parent company, which included reviewing the terms of an LMA styled facility agreement to ensure its enforceability and compliance with Tanzania law, drafting all local law governed security documents and coordinating all local law conditions precedent to execution and disbursement.
- Acted as local advisers to Macquarie Bank in a US$10.6 million trade finance facility to a local underground mining service company which was secured against the borrower’s assets in Tanzania.
- Acted as local advisers to Cooperative Rabobank in a secured US$85 million uncommitted trade finance facility to a local oil marketing company and its affiliates which was secured against the financed assets.
- Advised Export Development Canada on the repatriation of its term loan facility amounts and interest from Tanzania.
- Advised an Australian bank in a US$8.5 million lending to a local mining company which is to be secured against assets located in Tanzania.
- Advised the National Bank of Commerce in the TZS 31.5 billion medium term note issue.
- Acted as counsel to the National Bank of Commerce Limited in respect of a US$8 million investment facility to a prime local hotelier.
- Successfully advised a not-for-profit organization on its on its application for a microfinance license at the Bank of Tanzania.
- Acted as lead advisers to a syndication of lenders led by Stanbic Bank Tanzania Ltd acting as the lead arranger on restructuring of Kagera Sugar Limited loan involving TZS 81 billion which was secured by a sovereign guarantee.
- Acted as lead advisers to the Company for Habitat and Housing in Africa (Shelter Afrique) in a US$14.5 million secured lending to the National Housing Corporation in Tanzania which was secured against the borrower’s properties.
- Acted as legal advisers to Vodacom Tanzania Plc. on a US$90 million syndicated borrowing from local banks including reviewing the terms of an LMA styled facility agreement.
- Acted as counsel to New Forest Company Tanzania Limited in the US$10 million lending transaction financed by the Finish Fund for Industrial Cooperation Limited including reviewing the terms of the facility agreement, Tanzania law security documents and issuing borrower’s counsel legal opinion on closing.