We have acted for both local and international clients in commercial litigation & arbitration. Disputes that we have acted for our clients involve commercial disputes with the Government of Tanzania through its various executive agencies, represented our international and banking clients in our courts including execution proceedings. We believe that our role is to ensure that disputes are dealt with efficiently and we aim to reduce the uncertainties surrounding the process. We have a team of experts in litigation and arbitration who combine the resources from our group member partners and associates to provide innovative strategies and effective case management. From October 1997 when IMMMA Advocates opened its services to the general public, we have represented and prosecuted hundreds of cases successfully for and on behalf of our clients.
A snapshot of our experience:
- Successfully represented Puma Energy at the CMA, at the High Court Labour Division and the Court of Appeal in a class action by 145 employees in relation to a retrenchment undertaken by Puma Energy.
- Successfully negotiated and settled an unfair termination claim by an ex-employee of Statoil Tanzania involving US$1 million.
- Successfully represented CCBRT at the Commission for Mediation and Arbitration (CMA) in a retrenchment matter involving 10 of its employees.
- Successfully represented Statoil Tanzania AS at the High Court, Labour Division, in a revision against an Award issued by CMA awarding compensation of a total of TZS 132 million.
- Successfully represented Asco at the High Court, Labour Division, in a class action by 114 employees following an unlawful strike.
- Successfully represented a leading tobacco production company ie TLTC and TTPL in various labour disputes with workers unions and individual employees.
- Successfully assisted British America Tobacco (BAT) to settle an unfair termination claim following retrenchment which was necessitated by a restructuring exercise.
- Assisted Ndovu Resources in the complaint lodged by employees claiming improvement of their working environment, tools, hours of work, statutory deduction etc;
- Advised African Explosive Limited at the CMA, High Court, Labour Division, and at Court of Appeal on the claim of unfair termination by a number of ex-employees; and
- Successfully represented Airtel at the CMA in negotiating separation agreements with its employees who were to be retrenched;
- Successfully represented a multinational engineering consulting firm at the ICC in London in a US$60 million dispute with the Tanzania National Roads Agency involving breach of contract for the construction of the Singida-Manyoni road.
- Successfully represented Stefanutti Stocks Tanzania Limited, a subsidiary of Stefanutti Stocks Pty, against DB Shapriya before the ICC in a claim for the payment of over TZS 2 billion following breach of contract for construction of apron slabs at the Mbeya Songwe airport.
- Successfully represented the Government of Zanzibar in arbitration proceeding initiated by Eco-Tech (Zanzibar) Limited against the Principal Secretary, Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs before the London Court of International Arbitration.
- Successfully represented a multinational engineering consulting firm before the ICC in Paris for a claim against the Tanzania National Roads Agency for breach of a contract of supervision of Road Construction.
- Successfully represented a Norwegian Engineering Consulting Firm in a PCA Arbitration with a seat in Dar es Salaam in a dispute for breach of a contract for supervision of Road Construction work.
- Successfully represented a construction firm in the enforcement of a foreign arbitral award of over US$38 million against the Government of Tanzania following ruling by ICC over a road contract.