Tanzania is well endowed in minerals resources and the Firm is virtually acting for all big mining houses operating in the country. The services provided ranges from providing advisory services on negotiating concessions, mining venture financing, options agreements and relocation transactions.
A snapshot of our experience:
- Advised one of our blue-chip gold mining company client in Tanzania on the implications of the amendments made in 2017 to the Mining Act 2010. As part of the assignment the Firm was required to prepare a compliance matrix identifying various licenses, permits and requirements and obligations in relevant legislations for use within its mines in Tanzania.
- Provided legal advisory to a giant gold mining company in Tanzania on the application and effects likely to occur by the introduction of the Permanent Sovereignty Act, 2017 and the Natural Resource Contract Act 2017.
- Advised a leading mining company on the changes and developments introduced in the mining sector’s legal and regulatory framework (the Mining Act 2010) as brought about by the Written Laws Miscellaneous Amendments (Act No. 7 of 2017).
- Advised the Chambers of Mining Tanzania in relation to the New Mining Act, 2010.
- Successfully Represented Geita Gold Mine Limited in the Commission for Mediation and Arbitration disputes.
- Represented Tanzacoal in appealing at the High Court of Tanzania, Commercial Division, the Ministry of Energy and Mineral’s decision on the cancellation of various special mining licenses that were transferred by two international mining companies that entered into a joint venture agreement in which the parties agreed to transfer special mining licenses to a newly incorporated Tanzanian company (Tanzacoal).
- Advised globally reputable mining companies including, but not limited to, Sandvic Mining, Resolute Tanzania and Williamson Diamonds Limited in matters ranging from conducting due diligence reports on acquisitions to mergers and acquisition of entities.
- Acted as legal advisor for the sponsors of a US$300 million cement plant (Mamba Cement) in Tanzania advising on the structuring, all project agreements (including mining and supply agreements) and the project-financing related negotiations and documents with one of the most active lenders in the African market that is seeking to syndicate the loan across several banks. The work includes the structuring of the project, structuring of the EPC procurement process and negotiations with the EPC contractors, due diligence (responding to bank requests), regulatory issues (environmental and permitting), as well as the financing agreement.
- Acted as Legal Counsel to Tabora Limited in which the company was proposing to prepare a prospectus for an initial public offering and admission to the Australian Securities Exchange. The Firm was thus required to conduct the relevant due diligence and prepare a Solicitor’s Report on Tabora Limited’s interests in mining tenements located in Tanzania for inclusion in the prospectus.
- Acted as Legal Counsel to Anglo Pacific Group in their intended investment in Shanta Mining Co. Ltd. In connection therewith, we advised on various mining and environmental issues and conducted due diligence and provided the report and legal opinion.
- Acted as Legal Counsel to Rift Valley Resources Inc. in connection with listing in the Australian Stock Exchange. In respect thereof, we provided general legal advice on a range of issues including mining and environmental and also conducted due diligence and provided the Solicitor’s Report of inclusion in the prospectus.
- Advised IMX Resources Ltd, an ASX listed company with subsidiaries in Tanzania, in the investment by MMG Holdings Ltd of Hong Kong whereby MMG will fund exploration activities in the tenements held by the subsidiaries of IMX in Tanzania leading to acquisition of shares by MMG in the subsidiaries through an incorporated joint venture.
- Advised the Government of Tanzania in respect of the US$3 billion Mchuchuma-Liganga project. We represented the Government of Tanzania through the National Development Corporation on the project, which involved procuring a sponsor to develop a coal mine power project and an iron ore mine and smelter project in South West Tanzania.