Tax consulting as well as litigation involving tax disputes are areas that the Firm handles. The Tax Practice offers comprehensive and practical legal advice on numerous tax matters including income tax, customs and excise duty, VAT disputes, transfer pricing issues and international taxation. The clients range from local to international companies.
A snapshot of our experience:
- Successfully represented a multinational provider of ground and air cargo services in challenging a tax assessment issued by the Tanzania Revenue Authority in excess of US$230,000 before the Tanzania Tax Appeal Tribunal.
- Successfully represented an Australian drilling company in a US$1 million income tax dispute against the Tanzania Revenue Authority.
- Successfully represented a container inspection company which was a subsidiary of international container inspection company in a US$ 8 million VAT dispute against the Tanzania Revenue Authority.
- Successfully represented an international Oil and Gas exploration company in its Income Tax Disputes with the Tanzania Revenue Authority. The matter involved a withholding tax assessment of about US$15 million.
- Advised Semco Maritime and Rolls–Royce on various Tax issues in their tender for Procurement of Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO) based Power Generating Plant of 60MW for Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited (TANESCO).
- Advised Verizon Communication a US based Communication Company on various tax issues relating to tax obligations, customs duties, and return filing obligations arising out of certain sales of equipment and other activities that Verizon Communication intended to undertake in Tanzania.
- Represented a mining explosives company in Tanzania in a tax dispute against the revenue authority involving over US$2.5 million.
- Advised the Zanzibar Association of Tourism Investors on the amendment made to the Value Added (Amendment) Act of 2013 limiting the requirement to register for VAT by hotels.
- Advised two subsidiaries of an international gold mining company in their withholding tax dispute and Tax Refund claims with the Tanzania Revenue Authority. The amount involved was to the tune of US$16 million The matters were successfully resolved.